classical_01_photo.jpg

classical_04_gra.jpg

HANDMADE BICYCLES

자전거에 대한 해석의 범위 또는 기능을 가지고 있는 사물에 대한 해석의 범위에 대한 고민이 컸었다. 왜 자전거인가? 에 대한 답을 스스로 찾아야만 했다. 답부터 말하자면 근본적인 카테고리는 탈 것(vehicle)이다. 즉 유모차나 자동차, 모터싸이클 등등 동력을 이용한 바퀴장치를 가진 모든 것 들에 대한 애정과 탐구심과 창작욕이라 할 수 있다.

‘classical’ 과 ‘impact’ 라는 두 가지 스타일의 작업을 같이 진행하면서 자전거의 기능적인 측면 뿐 아니라 미술적 해석과 상품성, 시대성 모두를 고려해야만 했다. 전 세계에 수도 없이 많이 자전거들 속에서 어떠한 의미로 어떠한 자리를 매기면서 탄생해야 하나 하는 고민이었다.

또 하나 나의 모든 작업에서 공통되게 나타나는 반대되는 것들의 대비 또는 충돌이다. 이번에도 마찬가지로 크게는 ‘classical= 과거’ – ‘impact=미래’ 의 concept들의 충돌이라던가 가죽과 금속과 같은 소재, 페인팅과 착색과 같은 표현기법의 대비 등 나라는 하나의 사람의 손길에서 나타날 수 있는 상반된 창조물들이 하나의 공간에서 존재했을 때의 나오는 새로운 느낌을 의도했다. 

I considered the range of interpretation of the bike or things that have function. I have to find the answer for myself about why a bicycle is. The basic category is vehicle. That is, it is affection, spirit of inquiry, and appetite for making about things that have wheels and use power like baby strollers, cars, and motorcycles.

Operating ‘classical’ and ‘impact’ at the same time, I have to consider artistic interpretation, marketability, and trend of the times as well as functional aspects of bicycle. I considered certain meaning and position that bicycle have among a lot of bicycles in the world.

Another thing is clash of opposite things represented in all of my works. This time, similarly, I intended to new feeling when opposite creations represented by one person exist in one space: clash of concepts like classical(past) and impact(future), materials like leather and metal, and comparisons of expressing style like painting skill and coloring.

CLASSICAL 

재료 : 스테인리스 스틸에 착색, 나무, 가죽 1700*800*1100(h) mm

Antique, classical, vintage 등으로 대변되는 이 자전거의 오래된 또는 미술적인 느낌들은 사실 자전거가 가지는 여러 가지 감정과 관객 개개인들의 추억 속으로부터 시작된다. 자전거라는 매개체를 통해서 각자의 추억과 감정을 불러 일으키도록 하고 싶었다.

자전거를 자전거로 보지 않고 ‘탈 것’ 이라는 개체로 봄으로써 디자인단계에서의 자유로움이 생겼다. “새로운 느낌의 ‘자전거’를 만들어야지!” 라고 접근했다면 기존의 자전거의 틀에서 벗어나는 게 쉽지 않았을 것이다. 클래시컬 한 ‘탈 것’을 디자인하고 그것이 ‘자전거’라는 형식을 빌리는 과정을 취할 때 더 자유롭고 신선한 아이디어들이 나왔다. 

관객들은 바구니의 모양이 범선이나 배 모양 같다고 하고 바퀴 커버(휀더)를 보고 레오나르도 다빈치의 발명품을 떠올리기도 했다. 어떤 사람들은 애니메이션이나 영화 소품 같다고도 한다. 또 어떤 분들은 타기 아까운 아트 오브제(장식품)이라고도 하셨다. 모두 맞는 말이고 맞는 모티브이다. 여러 가지 단서와 심상들을 느끼면서 관객들은 스스로 상상과 추측을 하면서 여러 가지 느낌을 가졌다.

앞서 말 한대로 무엇보다 미술적인 디자인적인 해석에 중점을 두었다. 자전거가 가지는 ‘타는 기능’은 아주 기본적인 것만 지키면서 말이다. 그 타는 기능을 극대화하는 것이 현대 자전거산업에서 추구하는 방향이다. 그러나 이 자전거는 그러한 틀에서 완전히 벗어나고자 했다. 무거울 수도 있다. 가격이 비쌀 수 도 있다. 

하지만 감성이라는 것, 가치라는 것은 절대적인 기준이나 범위가 있는 것이 아니다. 그래서 완전히 다른 시각으로 바라보고 해석해야 했다. 가죽이나 나무를 택한 것도 페인팅 도장이 아닌 착색과 손으로 표면세공 등을 한 이유가 그것이다. 아날로그에 대한 향수, 과거의 정겨웠던 기억, 인간미, 미술적 아름다움 모두 현대인들이 그리워하고 원하는 그것이다. 

핸드메이드라는 네이밍도 그것의 일환이었다. 설계상으로나 연출의 의도로나 손으로 만들어야 했고 그것이 맞는 방법이었다. 

CLASSICAL 

Material: coloring on stainless steel, wood, leather 1700*800*1100(h) mm

Old or artistic feelings of this bicycle represented as antique, classical, and vintage start with various emotions from bicycle and reminiscences of each audience. I want to evoke individual emotions and reminiscences through bicycle.

Freedom in the design phase arises by regarding bicycle as not a bicycle but a vehicle. If I approach new type of ‘bicycle’, I cannot slough off existing form of bicycle. When I design classical vehicle and it borrows the form of bicycle, more free and fresh design comes out.

Audiences see basket as ship shape and wheel cover (fender) as Leonardo da Vinci’s invention. Some people recall properties of animation or movie. Others think it as valuable object art (decoration). Everyone and every motive are right. As they think about some clues and images, all audience can feel by guessing and thinking.

Above all, I focused on interpretation of artistic design by following basic rules about the “Riding” function of a bicycle. Modern bicycle industry pursues to magnify riding function of bicycle. But this bicycle tries to emerge from conventional frame totally. It might be heavy or expensive.

However, I should see and interpret it differently, because emotion and value doesn’t have any absolute criteria or range. That’s why I choose leather or wood and work on surface with coloring and hand instead of painting stamps.

People miss and want nostalgia for analogue, friendly memory of past, humanity, and artistic beauty.

Naming ‘handmade’ forms a part of those things. I have to make it with hands for design or intend of production and it is right way.

making process link

part 1 - http://blog.naver.com/ruckus82/100144288458

part 2 - http://blog.naver.com/ruckus82/100146340146